At 1871, we look at every aspect of our organization as an opportunity to foster diversity and inclusion and re-affirm our commitment to this important mission. One area of our business that offers a tremendous opportunity is where we spend our money, and if there is one thing we buy a lot of around here, it’s food — roughly $10,000/month is spent by the 1871 team, to say nothing of our partners.
Through the ChiBuys initiative, we put our money where our mouth is – literally! Over the past year, we have developed relationships with dozens of local, minority or woman-owned caterers throughout the city.
We look at every aspect of our organization as an opportunity to foster diversity and inclusion and re-affirm our commitment to this important mission.
The impact has been tremendous:
- Vendors from this program have catered over 75 events over the past year.
- The total expenditure is in excess of $50,000 to date.
- We have made dozens of introductions and resulted in significant additional business for these vendors.
- We have developed an interactive guide that allows us to use our promotional power and network on behalf of our participating vendors.
And this is just the beginning. 1871 commits to exploring vendor opportunities in not only catering, but other organizational purchasing needs. Our hope is that these efforts will expand well beyond our walls and become a city-wide endeavor. Together, our community can move the tide towards fostering diversity and inclusion in every aspect of our businesses.
What Can You Do?
- Eat! Order from one of these ChiBuys vendors, all of whom are highly recommended by the 1871 team. Organizations who patronize ChiBuys vendors will receive a digital sticker for placement on digital or physical materials to inform guests that the organization supports local, diverse vendors.
- Share! Send the ChiBuys list to colleagues, clients, family and friends.
- Host! Organize a introductory luncheon with ChiBuys vendors and your events, administrative, and marketing teams. Hear from them — and taste! — what they can offer. The 1871 team stands ready to help coordinate.
- Taste! Attend the next quarterly ChiBuys vendor tasting, where 1871 will showcase many of the participating caterers. The next quarterly tasting is at 1871 in January 2018. More details to come.
Organizations and businesses who are willing to do any of the four actions above are eligible to sign on as an official ChiBuys partner by pledging their commitment.Make the Pledge
Are you a minority or woman-owned food vendor?
We would love to connect! Please email us at email@example.com to learn more about getting involved with the ChiBuys program.