Women Leadership Accelerator
Get the support you need to grow, advocate for yourself, and achieve your career goals in 1871’s four-month accelerator and mentoring initiative devoted to cultivating the next generation of women-identifying leaders.
The program runs twice a year in the Spring (March-July) and Fall (September-January).
About The Accelerator
The Women Leadership Accelerator is a four-month leadership program devoted to empowering those that are women-identifying in the workplace, propelling emerging leaders into roles of influence, and creating parity in the business world.
1871’s Women Leadership Accelerator pairs participants with a team of mentors, coaches, and instructors that serve at the top levels of their industries, from the C-Suite to the boardroom.
The program is broken down into four components:
- Classroom Learning: Participants will attend four monthly classes, one each month. The program will culminate in a career pathing discussion with various C-suite professionals.
- Facilitated Forum: Participants will learn how to act as agents for their companies by developing skills beyond their functions, while also developing a sustainable support system outside of their companies through a peer-driven, two-hour monthly forum.
- Mentoring: Each participant will meet with 2-3 mentors and choose a “Super Mentor” to partner with regularly before and after the program.
- Coaching: These 30-minute monthly sessions are designed to help participants advance their personal goals and receive formal “Career Coaching.”
Eligibility & Cohort Tracks
The Women Leadership Accelerator is designed for mid-career women-identifying professionals. While the average years of experience will range from 3-8, the most important factor is that participants exhibit exceptional promise in their current roles and would benefit from support in how to translate that promise into promotions or increased responsibilities.
Designed for women-identifying technologists with clear technical roles across the following areas:
- Software engineering and development
- Data engineering and data science
- Technical product management
Designed for women-identifying employees working in external facing roles, including professionals that work with clients, customers, or outside stakeholders across the following areas:
- Marketing and communications
- Customer success
When will applicants be notified if they have been accepted into the program?
Applicants will be notified by March for the Spring Cohort and by September for the Fall Cohort.
How much does the program cost?
The program is $3,000 for 1871 members and $5,000 for non-members.
How do participants pay for the program?
Participants may either be sponsored by their companies or cover the costs themselves.
Select applicants may be eligible for our scholarship program, which supports women-identifying professionals from diverse backgrounds. Please contact us at [email protected] for more information about the scholarship program.
What are the planned dates for the program?
The program runs from March-July and September-January.
What is the time commitment?
You can expect to meet with your cohort once a month on Fridays in the morning and afternoon. You will also have a 60 minute group coaching session once a month and the opportunity to meet with your mentor each month, as well.
Where does the program take place?
This cohort will be virtual.
How are mentors chosen for the program?
Mentors are invited to participate in the program based on cohort and program needs. The majority of our mentors are in Executive Leadership roles.
If you are interested in becoming a mentor, please fill out the Mentor Interest Form.
Who is responsible for the program?
1871 and the Women Leadership Council developed and launched the program as part of their ongoing initiatives to promote technological advancement in Chicago, especially for women accelerating their careers.
We have partnered with Ethos, a culture consulting meets diversity, equity, inclusion firm for the development and execution of the program.